Sunday, February 25, 2007

Rock Rodeo 2007

Today is the day after the Hueco Rock Rodeo. I competed this year for the first time. My day started well but I burned out after trying some hard new climbs and could not complete enough boulder problems by the end of the day to be competitive. Next time I should stick to things I can do quickly.

The day and night before the event tents were destroyed by gale force winds blowing col, sand filled air. The wind continued throughout the event and made the day cold and exhausting. At night the wind died down and the party began. A twenty foot fire raged and music played all night long. I was amazed at how well the young competitors climbed having never been to Hueco before.

Today I am sore with battered skin and sore muscles.

Full Service was climbed about a week ago. My fifth day on the problem Kevin and I sent the climb within five minutes of each other.

4 comments:

JP Williams said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
c said...

hey, congrats on the send (to both of you!...hopefully you're talking about my friend, kevin?)!! wish i could be there...oh yea, and who's that hot asian chick with the broken ankle? haha juuust kidding! well, three screws later, my ankle is healing pretty nicely...still one more month in a cast :(

well its awesome to read your updates, i miss being there sooooo much! say hi to everyone (that might still be there from jan!)!

Joel Anderson said...

sorry to hear about the spring snow jonathan.

you minnesotans are tough though and will blow torch your way through the stuff and send in crisp temps!

sorry for deleting your comment, i still learning this blog thing.


-courtney,

glad to hear you are healing!! yes
it was kevin cuckovich. mike feinberg is hear again and we were talking about you last night around the fire. we miss having you around.

hope to see you in bishop or squamish.

Unknown said...

bummer about the competition. but hell, this trip of yours has sounded mind blowing. I can see why you need to become a nurse though with these busted ankles and popping shoulders! now all you need to recruit is a pharmacist and a massage therapist - and maybe a chef because lets face it, good nutrition is important. be good now and see you in a bit. big hug, Sarah (knoxie)